The loss of power to penetrate a woman during lovemaking could spell trouble for your married as well as personal life. While fellatio and cunnilingus can help the partners for some time, but after a while, the urge to have full-on penetrative sex is too vital to ignore. Failure of penis to behave in a natural manner could give rise to all kinds of unpleasant thoughts in the minds of both the partners. Before it is too late and Erectile Dysfunction (ED) wreaks havoc in your life, you are well advised to explore all kinds of treatment options available. Fortunately, there are a range of treatment options that you can try to give much deserved attention to the most important aspect of your life.
Short-term Treatment Options
- Self-Injection Drugs: A little unpleasant, but effective, short-term treatment for ED is self-injecting drugs that can be delivered right on the operative region, i.e. base of the penis. The drugs, like prostaglandin, phentolamine, and Papaverine hydrochloride, start having effect within 5-15 minutes and can last anywhere between 30 minutes to a couple of hours. You or your partner must be trained in giving injection at a sensitive region. Your doctor can train you in this regard and inform you about the proper dosage. Some men may experience few minor side effects around the injected area, but if given in accordance with the instructions, there won’t be any problem. The best part of injections is that you can have them up to 7 times during the day.
- Vacuum Pumps: A lesser used short-term ED treatment option is vacuum therapy through ED vacuums or VCDs (Vacuum Constriction Devices). These are manually or battery operated devices that can externally simulate and maintain the erection. The device consists of a plastic cylinder, which is placed on the penis; a pump, which is used to create vacuum and make the penis erect; and a rubber ring, called a band, which is used to help sustain the erection levels by stopping the blood from flowing out of the penis for as long as up to 30 minutes. Certainly, these devices are not for those looking for convenience and ease in ED treatment options.
- Patches: Some patches filled with drugs and other substances known to cause erection may be applied around the penile region in order to derive short-term benefits.
Long-term Treatment Options
- Psychotherapy: Most ED cases are the result of some kind of mental stress, depression, or anxiety associated with performance or relationship. Therefore, consulting a psychotherapist who could ease out your worries and help you relax during lovemaking by having multiple sessions with you, could provide you with a long-term relief from ED caused by psychogenic factors.
- Drugs: Several FDA approved drugs, like Viagra (sildenafil), Cialis (tadalafil), and Levitra (Vardenafil), which are classified as phosphodiesterase type 5 (PDE5) inhibitors, have become the most popular and preferred way to tackle erection problems for their ease of use and reliability. The main function of these medications is to relax the smooth muscles of blood vessels, which results in increased blood flow to the penis, and that is the main requirement for a strong erection.
- Surgery: The least recommended ED treatment option is surgery that implants prosthesis to enable artificial erection. The high risk, coupled with higher failure rate, makes it the last resort as far as ED treatment options are concerned.